006 | Project Management & Selling
In his latest episode, Chris focuses on project management and selling. His ultimate goal is to hire and retain the best and brightest employees, confident in their abilities, so he can focus on adding more value to his organization in other places. The only way to accomplish this task is through effective project management. Chris talks about the importance of revenue and having effective and efficient operations to grow and scale your business. He defines capacity and states that there needs to be a balance in order to avoid financial strain on an organization. Finally, he shares his belief that business has never been easier than it is in today’s financial climate and challenges the audience to remember that and get to work.
Setting objectives and key results is important for project management too. Chris talks about this on his episode "How OKRs Help Us Manage Projects".
Chris is the President and partner at Juhll.com, a full-service digital marketing agency that helps clients achieve business goals by delivering superior results. He’s also the founder, operator and investor in Banks.com, a trusted financial online market place for all things financial on the web. In his podcast, Chris discussed the latest trends on digital marketing as well as the challenges of being an entrepreneur with a no-bull approach.
- 01:06 – The proliferation of content and information in today’ssociety
- 03:18 – Why most of the information Chris consumes is reactive
- 04:27 – The project management system, Jira
- 09:43 – The importance of having your business goals map back toyour daily activity
- 13:15 – The 40-hour work week mandate
- 16:17 – The desire to continuously get better at projectmanagement
- 18:26 – Making a greater impact in his organization
- 21:52 – The importance of creating a list of daily tasks andsticking to it
- 25:12 – Two key business problems that are in constant need ofattention
- 26:37 – The definition of business capacity
- 28:54 – Finding the balance between growing a business and growinga team to support that growth
- 31:44 – An example of hiring in anticipation of growth
- 34:55 – Chris’ ultimate goal
- 35:39 – The importance of awareness and visibility
- 36:42 – Chris’ take on the current business market
“I am personally trying to figure out how to be better at fewer things and not get caught up in the chaos. That’s what I’m trying to figure out.” (08:43)
“Don’t be the executive – don’t be that person – that’s a leader that’s like, ‘I’m too big for this,’ because guess what? This is the way the world works now.” (16:57)
“I don’t need to be on every single call, but I’m on every single call because I’m afraid of not having the right outcome.” (20:22)
“The genesis of all this, for me, is to figure out how to find the best and the brightest, maintain them, and have more of my time to do what I’m good at.” (34:56)